Saturday, October 20, 2012

"The Dagney" and "The Labrador"

Part of my passion for my "Adventure Paddles" (see previous post) is going past some large, unusual craft upriver. I thought perhaps they were there for repairs. What I learned about the two largest was quite a surprise. 


The Dagney


What I have found so far about The Dagney is from this 2007 website: http://www.sneakywhale.com/point5.html. It's a 1904 fish tender from Juneau, Alaska that "Trub's" friend lives in. He notes that now the hull is encased in Ferro-cement. If I see the owner sometime when I paddle by I will surely be inquisitive to learn more of the craft's story.



The Labrador

Who would imagine this is an art gallery? It's called 12128 BoatSpace and once I discovered that I learned that some of my neighbors had heard about it and hadn't a clue where it was.  Here's a summary of the info I found at the FortPort website noted below: The Labrador is a WWII crabbing vessel from the Bering Sea. It's 135 feet long and weighs 200 tons. Kyle Thompson, Lewis Feuer, Caitlin Ducey, and Zoe Clark are the folks who maintain the ship and operate the gallery. The gallery has been hosting shows since May 2010 and photos and information of the works exhibited are on the website. I'm told the next exhibit will be in January, 2013. An artist was at work inside when I paddled by yesterday but it was too rainy and late in the day for me to stop and say hello and find out more -- but I will.

For more information and ship photos: http://www.fortport.com/?p=2604
To see exhibit photos, find out about past and upcoming shows or to get on the mailing list:
http://www.12128boatspace.com/location/

1 comment:

  1. I worked aboard "The Dagney" as a deckhand June and July of 1970. Bristol Bay for sockeye, then down to Ketchikan for Kings, Silvers, Chums. Company was Red Salmon Cannery, and the Captain was Nick Scrivanich.

    Rich Schager.

    ReplyDelete