Sunday, July 14, 2013

The 6 a.m. Otter Show


I don't usually wake up at 5:30 but this morning I was wide awake and figured I might as well go up and get the Sunday paper and work the crossword. As I was strolling along the walkway I could see Bruce in the distance, stopped. I looked to the right of him and could see movement. I realized it was a family of otters. They were in and out of the water, scampering over the water pipe and the walkway float logs. I could see them looking up stretching their necks checking Bruce out. We both stood and watched -- me, maybe five minutes and then they were gone. Bruce said they started out right on the walkway and at one point he saw the mom take the baby down and show it how to get a crawfish and the baby came up with a crawfish and ate it. There was a mom and three young. I didn't get a photo this morning but they are probably this same otter family I have been seeing as I paddle.

First thing out my door I had seen a heron hunched over walking on a log in the backwater and as I write this there are carp splashing in the water below my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment