Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I ought'r see more otters



Phoo! I have been here nearly a year and have seen only one river otter -- and that one in quick passing outside my office window. I hear other neighbors talk about seeing them regularly. Sometimes I will be outside on the deck talking to a long-time houseboater who will hear the sound of the otters playing under my logs, or my neighbor's logs, but I can't recognize what they hear. Even if I did -- I want to see the otters, not just hear them. I love their playfulness in the water and scampering ways on land. I frequently hear and/or see the beaver who lives in the creek inlet across the way -- the beaver will splash its tail in warning when I get near and sometimes I get a glimpse of it. But not so for the elusive otters. I hope over time to see more -- lots more -- of them.

                                          Photo credit: Robert Barber/Painet Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment