Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pocket your keys



One of the first bits of advice to a new houseboater is to pocket your keys. You are admonished not to hold keys in your hand while going down the ramp or along the walkway -- because it is far too easy to stop to talk to someone, or juggle your packages, or any little thing that takes away your attention -- and before you know it, your keys have fallen out of your hand and gone into the drink, nevermore to be seen.

Even the keys attached to a float, like that above, were lost -- I found them bobbing alongside my kayak one day when I was paddling.

So, from the get-go I have been extremely conscientious about not just putting keys in my pocket, but zipping them in my purse -- so they don't fall out if my purse gets lop-sided on my shoulder, or wiggles in the open-grid cart. Even when I go up to check the mail, I take a small shoulder bag and zip the mailbox key inside. This also gives me a place to put my mail so bills and letters don't blow away in the breeze as I'm walking back.

The next thing is to be sure to warn all your guests to put their keys in pocket or purse, lest they lose them to the river and not be able to even drive their cars to get home -- resulting, of course, in less than fond thoughts toward again visiting their riverhouse friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment