Friday, May 29, 2015

Kathy Reilly's en plein air painting on my deck

 
 
Artist Kathy Reilly, a long-time friend, was visiting from Colorado with her husband Dale Lanan. We've been friends since the 70s when we both lived in Pittsburgh. I have her art in probably every room of my house. Over the past few years she has focused on en plein air (French for "in the open air") outdoor painting.
 
She travels with a fold-up easel and a kit she made up of oil paints and brushes. One of the days of their visit she set up her easel on the back deck and made this painting of my neighbors' deck filled with spring-blooming flowers. 
 





Her talent constantly amazes me. I can recall years ago when we took a watercolor class together. We were at a picnic table with a vase of orange nasturtiums in front of us. I sat there, perplexed with my tubes of paint, unable to figure out how to even mix the colors of the flowers. In the meantime, she painted a frame-able work of art.

Here is the finished painting, which she put in a special folder she created so that the oil paint would dry untouched over the following few days.

This week a packaged arrived for me from Kathy - it was this original painting, in a brown wood frame. I hung it in my living room where you can look the painting and simultaneously look out to this view. You can see Kathy's work at www.kathleenreillyart.com/ and kathreillyart.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment