Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mystery: flashing lights in the night



















I think of this as a UFO -- Unidentified Floating Object. I was awake reading one night about 1:00 a.m. and saw blinking lights in the distance. What could that be? Okay, it was definitely something on the water and moving downriver toward me. I looked with my binocs. I looked with the spotting scope. I could not figure it out. Even as I stood outside as it passed and took these photos, I could not tell what it was. The next morning I wrote and asked some of my neighbors, and our Community Association newsletter editor, if anyone else had seen it or reported anything. I described it as "the crazy blue-lights-flashing plus red light plus green light plus yellow light thing..."  I was guessing it was some kind of search and rescue boat.

My neighbor Barb (a writer who is usually waking up around the time I'm going to sleep), said:
"I did see it. And I went outside and walked down the boardwalk to see if it came to the boat ramp but I couldn't really tell whether it did or not--I think it may have paused there. The odd thing was that I had just heard footsteps on the boardwalk before this strange boat came, someone walking rather fast and I thought to myself that we don't really have any outside night owls here anymore and I couldn't imagine who that would be. Jim said it was a police boat but I have never seen one do that in the middle of the night. I know when they are looking for a floating body they use search lights--I've seen that but I've never seen anything like this in the 15 years we've been here. Sorry, I'm no help."
 
Mystery as yet unsolved.


No comments:

Post a Comment