Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Log lasso


Logs are continually floating downriver, and some riverhouse people go out and lasso them for firewood. In the past week I saw this fellow trying to harness a large log. Earlier I'd noticed an immense log -- maybe the biggest one I'd seen -- float by. I passed my neighbor Bruce shortly afterward sitting outside and asked him if he'd seen the big log -- he hadn't. Turned out, Tom Hecker had hurried out with his motorboat and lassoed it before it got to Bruce's house. Then a few days later I was sitting out on the deck and saw another neighbor go out and maneuver a big log to his place. One of the old-timers on the moorage said that there was a time when no one bought firewood -- there was so much wood coming down river they just went out and snatched it.



No comments:

Post a Comment