Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mornings of a thousand rainbows








Because I knew I was buying a houseboat that is basically a double-wide trailer surrounded by a cedar "shell," I decided that it was going to need some glam and that that glam was going to be a crystal chandelier. I was leaving behind a beautiful gold antique chandelier at my previous house, so I was not going to be satisfied with the white aluminum circle hanging light that was currently in the houseboat.

I had been eyeing used crystal chandeliers at Portland's fabulous Hippo Hardware, central spot for old lighting of all kinds, and just before I moved I found the perfect one and had it installed, with a dimmer for extra ambiance. I was happily enjoying the beauty of it, in and of itself, when one morning I was eating breakfast and the sunlight happened to be low and rise above my neighbor's roof into my place and suddenly I had small rainbows all over the newspaper I was reading. I looked up and around and rainbows where everywhere -- all over the walls, the ceiling, the floor and into the adjacent living areas. It looked truly magical. It has only happened a few times again since then, but each time it does I just smile as it lifts my spirits.


No comments:

Post a Comment