Monday, April 15, 2013

Way into the inlet


Directly across the channel from my houseboat is a small inlet. Mostly, it's too shallow to get very far back there, but once inside, it's a magical-feeling spot, a small place to float surrounded by high trees. Back there I've been up close with herons, a beaver, and a few weeks ago, hooded mergansers.

Every time I got out for a paddle, that's my last bit of gunkholing, to see how far I can get back in the inlet. Of late, fallen trees have blocked the path and I've even thought about taking a saw and slicing my way through. However, this last Saturday the water was high enough for an intrepid kayaker to scoot around the tree-falls and get quite a ways back. Here are some photos of navigating the encumbered passageway.






                                              
                                                  Beaver-chewed trunk and fallen tree



                               Headed home


No comments:

Post a Comment