Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mindful Slacking


I have a pretty good history of what's now being called "mindful slacking" -- taking time off from work and appreciating that it is a time for creative thinking, a meditativeness, a reconnection with the natural world that is enriching. Rather the opposite of being a workaholic.

I've been self-employed as a freelance writer for decades and my style is to take at least 8 weeks off a year -- last year I took off 12 weeks.  (How could I have a regular job? No one would give me so much vacation time, unpaid or not.) Lately I have been taking off Friday afternoons to paddle. Unless I have some deadline, who needs me to be around to work at the end of the workweek? Living on the river makes it ever so easy to get out and have a wonderful paddling experience and as the weather gets nicer, I just might take off two afternoons a week ...

No comments:

Post a Comment