Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Squash on my Stoop

Autumn, 2016


You never know what you're going to find here in the way of neighborliness. We loan each other items when asked, do favors, look for good deeds, ask if we can help, and in general watch out for each other with a spirit of generosity. When harvest season comes, those who've planted gardens will put extra vegetables and flowers out at the top of the ramp with a note that says FREE. Many a time have I come home from a complicated day, thrilled to be able to bring down a bouquet of bright flowers. Or made a meal out of some veggies left to share. But one day this autumn the generosity came home to roost -- a spaghetti squash was left on my stoop. I figured it was Diana and asked her, and she just responded, "I thought you'd like it." And of course I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment