Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Upriver, a Stunning Greenpeace Protest

July 30, 2015


I was heading to Seattle or I would have been in my kayak, upriver from my houseboat under the St. Johns Bridge, supporting the Greenpeace protest of the the Shell Oil icebreaker MSV Fennica. I wrote the USGS film "Tracking Pacific Walrus: Expedition to the Shrinking Chuchi Sea Ice" (on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-aNYhCr8k), so I have been well aware of the dangers of Arctic drilling. The protest was daring, stunning, and breathtaking, with thirteen Greenpeace protesters suspended from the bridge, each with a colorful colorful streaming flowing in the wind. The protect slowed the ship for a day and did not eventually stop it, but drew worldwide attention to the cause.  



No comments:

Post a Comment